Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

I'm 50 years old and it's been at least 18 mo since my

Customer Question

I'm 50 years old and it's been at least 18 mo since my period until a couple of months ago when out of the blue I had what seemed a heavy period (complete with terrible pms). About a month later I had what seemed a very light period. Didn't think much of it until I did a Google search and now I'm scared. Went to the dr this morning and while doing a pap she mentioned I have a friable cervix, now even more scared. I know the possibilities but does the friable cervix increase the likelihood of it being cancer?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain,
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help you today. A friable cervix may be associated with infection (human papilloma virus HPV) and cervical cancer. If your PAP comes back with cancer cells present, treatment is available, such as a conization procedure where the affected tissue is removed and the remainder of the uterus and ovaries are kept intact. At this point, you need to wait until your PAP result is available. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but there isn't one without the PAP result.

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. We are credited only after you give a positive rating of 3-5 stars for the information I provided. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Are you satisfied with my response? If not please let me know.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Have you received the result of your PAP test?