Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My daughter had the rod form of birth control placed in her

Customer Question

My daughter had the rod form of birth control placed in her arm. Is it normal to see the rod in her arm? she has had it for about 3 weeks. It does not stick out far but is noticeable when pointed out. She is complaining of pain after her coach wrapped her arm to prevent it from being hit while at cheer practice.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your daughter. Now the implant can be visible as it is just placed under the skin. This is usually evident when someone feels the area and can also be visible as a bump under the skin. Now if the implant is actually sticking out from under the skin then that means that it has been displaced from its normal location and may need to be repositioned under the skin. If there is pain in the area which is accompanied by redness, tenderness and increased temperature at the site then i would suggest that you have this evaluated by visiting the doctor again as this could be a sign of a soft tissue infection at the site. If none of the above symptoms are present then this is a normal scenario, the rod is normally visible under the skin but it would not be directly visible to the naked eye meaning that you would notice that there is something under the skin but it should not be visible directly.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.