Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I have a swollen bartholin gland and well as strange spots

Customer Question

hi i have a swollen bartholin gland and well as strange white spots on the inside of my vagina lips. I am only sexually active with one person and we both were tested clean recently, What could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have itching with such white spots?

Do you have pain?

Any foul smelling vaginal discharge?

Are you on any medications?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This swollen gland or whatever it is is sore but the white spots are not painful nor itchy. And no abnormal smells. I am current sick with a fever/cold and am just on cold medication ... But maybe this could be linked to my virus? Thanks so much !
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I can understand your concern.

Well, it is not normal to have painful lump at vaginal lips.

This could be related with Inflammed Bartholin's glands.

If this was not painful, then I would not be worried.

Such, Bartholin's glands are found just behind and either side of the lips that surround the entrance to the vagina.

Sometime, ducts for this gland can get blocked, and can result in swollen and painful glands. It is a very common condition. This is not releated with cold/ flu.

This could also be inflamed due to sexually transmitted bacterial infections like Chlamydia, Gonorrhea. But as you said, both of you have tested as clean, So I would not be worried for STD.

You should soak the affected part in warm water several times a day for three or four days and take over-the-counter painkiller like Motrin. It can be taken twice a day. Usually with home measures, it would get resolve.

In case, symptoms doesn’t improve in next 3-4 days, then you may need antibiotics.

Having little white spots, around inside part of vaginal lips is normal. No need to worry for that. They are not due to any disease process. They are quite common and do not do any harm.These are probably retention cyst. No need to worry for such white spots.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can this picture help? Sorry I'm very concerned
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear,

I can understand your concern.

Thanks for sharing clear picture.

Such white patches/ spots on inside part of vagina lips, could be related with-Lichen sclerosus.

Over time, such white spots may become larger and join together.

As such, The cause is not known.

There is a type of inflammation within affects skin which causes changes to the structure of the affected skin.

The cause is possibly an autoimmune disease.

To treat it you would need A strong steroid ointment or cream like Colbetasol.

Steroids reduce inflammation.

You can use this cream as single application at night for four weeks, followed by alternate nights for four weeks and then twice a week for four weeks.

Please see your doctor for clinical examination and get this issue managed. Please start with your primary doctor.

This issue can be managed by your doctor.

Hope this helped

we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh