Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

My 13 year old daughter is complaining about her vagina

Customer Question

Hi My 13 year old daughter is complaining about her vagina hurting when she wipes she's at the end of her period with some brown discharge? any idea what his can be ?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: It's my daughter, she's 13. Has only had her period for 6 months, it's fairly regular
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, not at all. she wears pads not tampons
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

I think that the most likely cause for your daughter's vagina hurting when she wipes would be irritation, either from the pads or something else.

Assuming that your daughter hasn't had sex, there isn't anything serious that is likely to be the cause.

Many sanitary pads contain a variety of chemicals and other substances that can be irritating.

She could also be getting irritated vaginal skin from soap, laundry soap, dryer sheets, etc.

For the current pain, I would recommend sitting in warm water with epsom salts. This will be soothing and healing regardless of the cause.

In the future, using all cotton, organic pads will probably help.

If she continues with pain when wiping more than a few days, then it would be best that she see a doctor for an exam.