Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Owen, I read part of your answer for retracting or

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Owen, I read part of your answer for retracting or disappearing clitoris but I'm not sure if that fits me...I'm married, 6 children, 36 years old, African american woman never any health problems, and about 3 months ago noticed my clitoris is gone inside way inside I can't even feel the elongation through the top of the hood shaft leading to the opening if the hood.. Its like it was removed.. I'm completely scared...I'm going to go to the GYN but I thought I'd ask. What could be wrong?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Some pictures for view
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

I think that the most likely cause of your clitoris disappearing is a condition called lichen sclerosus. It tends to affect the labia and clitoral areas, and will usually cause the tissuess to be slightly whitened. Lichen sclerosus causes the labia and clitoral hood to shrink and disappear.

It's a little difficult to be sure from the pictures, but a real life exam would be able to know.

If it is lichen sclerosus, it's a skin condition of unknown origien. It can be treated by certain high potency steroid creams. It often causes itching, but not always.

I would recommend seeing a good OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. Best wishes.