MD doc
MD doc, Doctor
Experience:  MD, vastly experienced (since 1994)
239748

I have been bleeding from past 3 months

Customer Question

Hi I have been bleeding from past 3 months
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding bleeding from past 3 months:

What is your age?

Are you taking any pills?

Any tests done so far?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I m 21, my family doctor put me on birth control pills, I went to the hospital and they took my urine sample and performed an ultrasound but they said they are not sure for what's going on
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

A prolonged period is one that lasts longer than 7 days.You are having bleeding from past 3 months.Although this not serious but is of concern.It can be due to varied number of causes such as Unexplained - in most of the cases no cause can be found. Other causes are: Contraceptive coil (IUD) - the coil can cause heavier, longer periods. Injectable contraception (Depo Provera) - can cause heavy or prolonged bleeding. Pelvic disorders: - Fibroids,polyps,pelvic inflammatory disease,endometriosis -outside the uterus.

Blood and hormonal conditions: Hormone imbalances - can stop ovulation (egg release) leading to build-up of endometrium and heavier periods.Hypothyroidism - an underactive thyroid gland can cause heavier periods.Stress is one of the major factor in disturbing mensrtual cycle.

As you have a urine examination & ultrasound done.You now need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.

So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with your gynecologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The doctors have told me that my thyroid is okay as well
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Its good that your thyroid functions are normal.So you need blood tests to evaluate other hormonal levels,estrogen & progesterone & other hormones.A pelvic examination by your gyne doctor is required.

Stress/anxiety/depression & hormonal imbalance is one of the most common cause of prolonged/heavy periods.

So I advise you to consult your gynecologist & to have these tests accordingly to find out the underlying case & then treatment will be done accordingly.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All these these test including my estrogen, progesterone and all other tests are done. They all came out to be normal. I don't have any stress either! It was light periods at first and now they turned heavier
Expert:  MD doc replied 3 months ago.

What have the treating doctors suggested as possible causes?
Any further tests that they have planned for?

Warm regards