Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology

I'm a healthy 29-year-old engaged woman who has been in a

Customer Question

I'm a healthy 29-year-old engaged woman who has been in a committed relationship for nearly two years. I have been on oral contraceptives for about 17 months, and about 4 months ago, I switched to Necon for my pill.
At the end of my last pack (August 11), I wanted to skip my placebo week and go straight into my next pack. I typically don't do this, but my fiance (who lives out of the country) was visiting and I didn't want to be on my period. But, I couldn't get my prescription until August 13. So, at that time, I took two pills, one for the missed pill on Friday, August 12, and one for Saturday, August 13.
I had sex three times this month. First, on August 14. Next, on August 17. Finally, on August 21.
I was under the impression that I would be covered because:
1) I had taken 21 pills consecutively and correctly, and thus, was protected for up to 7 days of a potential period/placebo week.
2) I had gone ahead and taken an extra pill just in case to cover that day in between packs.
This past weekend, I was beginning the last week of my active pills and I noticed a slight brown discharge. This has happened to me previously when switching birth controls. It also happens to me often before my next period starts, ever since I started my period.
Out of an abundance of precaution, I took an early pregnancy test yesterday, and it came back negative. I figured that given the distance from the first intercourse, I surely would be able to tell if I were pregnant. I was relieved to know it came back negative.
I can't tell if my symptoms are pregnancy or PMS. My breasts are sore. I feel tired (though it might be because I'm not getting much sleep due to anxiety over this). I talked to my physician's assistant who seemed to believe that given how thorough I had been on taking the pill, I was fine. I also talked to a doctor friend (internal medicine) who said he was confident I was OK.
I just wanted one final opinion to set my mind at ease that I'm OK. I really do not want to be pregnant, as we have a big wedding planned in the spring.
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 month ago.

this is Dr David

thank you for your question

I can understand your worries about pregnancy

but you have been taking your birth control pill regularly.

your pregnancy test was negative

you are NOT pregnant

you don't have to worry about pregnancy

hormone chances in your body from regular cycle changes can cause breast soreness.

it is not from pregnancy

you don't have to worry

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there, I just want to confirm that a woman is covered for up to 7 days after her active pills are completed. That's my main question. I can't seem to find an answer to that anywhere.
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 month ago.

the 7 days is the number of days you need to wait for birth controls to start working.

after you stop taking birth control pills, each day the chance for pregnancy risk increase with unprotected sex.

there are no good studies to see if you are still protected 7 days after you take your last pill.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how am I protected, if I skipped a day between the two packs? I obviously doubled up on the second day of the new pack. My understanding was that I'm safe because I had taken the previous 21 days consistently.
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 month ago.

skipping just one day is fine.

and once you have your period, that week, if you don't take your birth control pills which are placebo pills during your period, you also don't have to worry about getting pregnant that week as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What I'm saying is I skipped the first pill in the second pack, causing a day-long gap. Thus, on the second day of the new pack, I took the first and second pills.
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 month ago.

that is fine.

that is not enough to put you at risk for being pregnant.