Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I had never had periods in my life and have been to doctors

Customer Question

Hi. I had never had periods in my life and have been to doctors including obgyn and endocrinologist. They say I have a mosaic version of turner's syndrome and no period is normal with turners and that I would never be able to have children. Lately, however, I have been having that mucous bloody discharge almost lie a full period. It happens whenever and without warning. Sometimes I have a lot of abdominal al discomfort for 24 hours or so. I'm 43 and wonder if I should be afraid of cancer?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Sometimes quite a bit and no regular periods ever just this sporadic bleeding whenever
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing out of the ordinary. I take pristiq but have for several years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 month ago.

You apparently have some estrogen produced by your ovaries, which is not unusual with mosaic Turners. That estrogen has stimulated your uterine lining, which is what is causing the bleeding.

Cancer is not likely, but I think you should see your doctor to check it out to be sure.

Your doctor could do an endometrial biopsy (small tube through the cervix to check the uterine lining). As long as that's negative, you don't have cancer.

Then your doctor could give you some progesterone pills which would clear up the bleeding. Best wishes.