Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.

My sister has been smelling the odor of bleach for 3 days

Customer Question

My sister has been smelling the odor of bleach for 3 days yet she hasn't been around it?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

Brief episodes of phantom smells is called phantosmia– smelling something that’s not there – and can be triggered by sinus infection or one of several more serious conditions such as temporal lobe seizures, epilepsy, or as a consequence of head trauma. Phantosmia is also associated with Alzheimer’s and occasionally with the onset of a migraine. For this reason, it would be best to be evaluated by your GP and have some basic blood tests done as a starting point. If persistent or progressive, an MRI of the brain would be in order to rule out a problem in the central nervous system.