Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have had a pelvic sonogram and a cat scan and seems to be

Customer Question

I have had a pelvic sonogram and a cat scan and seems to be a ovary complex cyst with a legion and have been recommended to a gyn oncologist and until I am a concerned for it is sort of contradictory or unconclusive and they want me to take a MRI as well. Until its hard to say. However I looked up about complex cysts and lesions and in hoping this is benign but either way I am sure they will remove it. Just wanted a heads up in what to expect.It says on report 2.2 cm indeterminate hypocchoic right ovarian complex cystic versus solid lesion with internal vascularity, estimated resisitive index of 0.7. Pelvic MRI recommended barring contraindictions in this patient. Also myomatous uterus borderline 5mm endometrial stripe partially visualized due to myomatous changes. I have a few fibroids intramural subwerosal and submucosal and the cyst. they are small the fibroids. However is a hysterectomy seeminly to do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any symptoms?

What was the reason for doing the sonogram? Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I had a computer problem. No I only have a sensation of pulling and urination frequent and bloating. No major pain so I have always had polycystic ovaries and infertility and in 2010 I had an edometrial ablation to stop bleeding.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Therefore they want to do mri

A complex cystic versus solid lesion is likely an ovarian tumor. However, it's pretty small, and I think it's as likely to be a benign tumor as cancer. Most likely you won't really know until they take it out and look at it microscopically.

An MRI may help for overall evaluation, and in case it's cancer which has spread, the MRI will help to know that.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to have it removed by surgery. At that time, they may recommend a hysterectomy as well, but that's probably won't make much difference in the long run. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. HOwever just saw that theres a section on report too says Cul de sac-There is no free fluid"? and the size is 3.3 length x 2.5 cm the volume is 10.9cc with right ovary. thats all. Plus do they do a biospy first or just surgery first.

No free fluid in the cul de sac is good.

3.3 x 2.5 cm is still not very big, just over an inch.

There is no good way to do a biopsy of the ovary. The best way is to remove the ovary and send it for microscopic exam. If it's benign, you're in the clear.

In case it's cancer, they would do a hysterectomy and try to remove all cancer possible. Then you might need chemotherapy.