Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 48 years of age and have had heavy bleeding for 21

Customer Question

I am 48 years of age and have had heavy bleeding for 21 days. I know I am anemic and taking iron due to fibroids. I will need a hysterectomy it is just not a convenient time due to the recovery length. Would a D&C temporarily solve my issue?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not met with a doctor in over a year. I know a hysterectomy is what I will need for as he described my boggy uterus. I am wondering if a D&C could buy me two months before I had to do the big surgery.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: When I was 32 I has a myomectomy for uterine fibroids. I have one healthy normal pregnancy in 1989.
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: no
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

A D&C would typically only help in this situation if there is a problem beyond a fibroid, because a D&C would not address the underlying cause of bleeding with a fibroid, and may make it worse.

A fibroid causes bleeding because of pressure on the endometrium, the lining of the uterus. In the endometrium overlying the fibroid, the endometrium may be thinned and denuded, exposing deeper tissue that then bleeds. There is a raw surface with each period in every women, as the upper layers of the endometrium are lost, but there is healing over the raw surface. However, in a woman with a fibroid, the pressure from the fibroid prevents regrowth of a normal lining over that raw surface.

A D&C is designed to remove the upper lining of the endometrium along with any excessive endometrium or growths, such as a polyp, but this is usually not going to help with the bleeding from a fibroid.

An ultrasound may suggest whether there may be another condition present that may be helped with a D&C. But if it is certain that the only cause of the bleeding is a fibroid, then a D&C would typically not help and may make it worse.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.