Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

A blood test confirmed I was pregnant last Friday, the 12th.

Customer Question

Hello - a blood test confirmed I was pregnant last Friday, the 12th. On Sunday, the 14th, I started spotting fairly significantly and it continues through today. The fertility clinic I am working with said there is nothing they can do until my first ultrasound in two weeks. How do I know if I am still pregnant or if I am miscarrying?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Unfortunately with early miscarriages the only way to detect them is with the help of ultrasounds. Blood tests wouldnt be of much help this early in the pregnancy. usually in miscarriages you would have varying amount of bleeding from simple spotting to passing blood clots. However the bleeding is in most cases is accompanied by abdominal cramps. If you do have cramps with bleeding then you should get evaluated by your doctor. Apart from the USG it is very hard to detect a miscarriage.

Now it is also possible that teh spotting can be a normal sign, spotting can also occur normally in early pregnancy however if you have cramps associated with spotting then you should get evaluated by your doctor. Also unfortunately if you are miscarrying then there is nothing much which can be done, some studies have shown that progesterone could be useful in situations like these however that isnt a recommended treatment at this point in time.

So i would suggest an OB/GYN visit and a exam if it hasnt been done as of yet. Otherwise you really cant differentiate between miscarriages and normal pregnancy. the only difference is presence and absence of pain, presence of pain can be an indicator of miscarriages however that too is not a hard and fast sign.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,