Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

Just found out I have a 10cm x 5.7 cm fibroid. I'm currently

Customer Question

Just found out I have a 10cm x 5.7 cm fibroid. I'm currently on a birth control so I don't have heavy menstrual flow only every 3-4 mths other than that not much of a period. But what I do experience is discomfort and stabbing pains off and on in my cervix. What I would like to know is what do do they do about this fibroid Do they do surgery or just monitor
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: Just discomfort. It's not very regular as in on the oull
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Pill
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Pain and heavy flow associated with fibroids can be managed either with medication or surgically.

If medication does work then often times surgery is needed to alleviate symptoms.

Depending on your age/desire for future children, they will either remove the fibroid(s) individually or perform a hysterectomy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

There are a few potential causes for bleeding years after a hysterectomy:

Vaginal dryness, a common side effect of hysterectomy, makes vaginal tissues thinner and more prone to bleeding from sexual intercourse or other irritations.

One can even develop fissures, or cracks, in dry vaginal tissues that cause bleeding.

“Mini periods” can continue if you had a subtotal hysterectomy and the cervix was retained. Essentially, a tiny portion of uterus remains, and as the ovaries continue to cycle, that small piece of uterus continues to shed lining just as before.

Regardless of the cause, I would see a gynecologist who could perform a pelvic exam and/or pap smear if warranted and prescribe the appropriate treatment for you.

Thank you!