Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.

I am a 62-year-old woman who went through menopause about 11

Customer Question

I am a 62-year-old woman who went through menopause about 11 years ago. Today I woke up with a fairly significant amount of vagiinal spotting, similar to the beginning of a period. A similar thing happened about 3 years ago, but with less volume. My doctor at the time did not seem very concerned, and apparently my pap smear was normal. I have an appointment (first time) with another gynecologist set for early October. Do you think I need to be seen before then? How unusual an occurrence is this? I am not having any pain or cramping, but feel slightly bloated. Thanks for your time.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 2 months ago.

Yes I advise that you get this checked before October.. that is too long to wait for this in my opinion...

It can be different possible causes...

Post-menopausal bleeding is the medical term..

The main potential worry would be to rule out endometrial cancer...

So you should have a pelvic exam/ pelvic ultrasound / Pap smear and endometrial biopsy most likley

The problem may occur for different reasons..

It is often associated with HRT ( hormone replacement therapy)

ulcers of the vagina or cervix could cause..

It is helpful to get a pelvic ultrasound to evaluate the appearance of the uterus and the endometrium within it...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions.

I will be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD