Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H(Univ.of Liverpool),34years of experience

Last menses on 21 Aug & conception on 1st Oct. Gestational Age?

Customer Question

What will be gestational age if my last menses was on Aug 21st and I conceived on Oct 1st. Let me make it clear that I have exceptionally long cycle, typically ranging from 30 days to 60 days. The scan was taken on Oct 15, 2015.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Vakul Aren replied 2 months ago.

How do you know the date of conception so precisely?Gestational age is usually taken from the day of the last menstrual period because the exact date of conception is difficult to know,but if you are definite about the date of conception,you can probably start from that day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We tried on Oct 1st. What I want to know is will there be any difference in the growth of fetus if I had last periods on Aug 21st 2015 and conceived on somewhere by the end on Aug 2015 and last periods on same day with date of conception around Oct 1st 2015. What will be the possible date of conception if I was 7 weeks and 2 days in ultra sound taken on Oct 15th 2015 and 8 weeks in ultrasound taken on Oct 23rd 2015?

Since it is not possible to be exact about the date of conception,the date is assumed to be the date of the LMP,ther may be a factual error ,but the assumption is still made.Correction by checking the growth on the ultrasound scan will probably give a better idea,the date will still be an approximation so a diffference of a couple of days should not matter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
7 weeks 2 days on October 2015 counts back to 27th august 2015 rt? Which means I conceived round first week of I correct?

I would trust your scans and assume the date to be 7 weeks from 15 oct ,this works out to around the last week of august,give or take an error of about a week.