Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My wife is 5 weeks pregnant today. She is on

Customer Question

My wife is 5 weeks pregnant today. She is on dexamethazone(0.2 mg a day) and metformin (750 mg twice a day). We are going regularly for the blood test of HCG, Progestrone and Estradiol. Her progestrone and estradiol levels are going down. Is there anything to worry about and why is it going down. Below are the results of the tests.
HCG - 212.1 mIU/mL
Progestrone - 12.70 ng/mL
Estradiol - 235.0 pg/mL
HCG - 578.3 mIU/mL
Progestrone - 21.06 ng/mL
Estradiol - 320.5 pg/mL
HCG - 2122.0 mIU/mL
Progestrone - 39.35 ng/mL
Estradiol - 290.5 pg/mL
HCG - 3203.0 mIU/mL
Progestrone - 29.96 ng/mL
Estradiol - 281.6 pg/mL
Can you please answer these questions and what can be done?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 months ago.

This looks normal, and the main thing is the HCG which is going up appropriate.

What did her doctor say?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just got the results and the clinic was closed so couldn't contact the doctor. We had a previous history of miscarriage and we are panicking because the levels has gone down. Also my wife cant sleep at night and she wakes up sweating with hot flashes. She is sleeping at 11 pm to 2 pm and could not sleep afterwards. Is there any correlation of the levels going down with the improper sleep?

OK, hard to say.

The estrogen and progesterone plateau during the frist trimester, and don't keep going up and up.

She is, in addition, on dexamthazone, which can keep the levels lower: she secrets less because she is on the drug.

Talk to her doctor, but I don't think there is any problem that can be inferred from the labs.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here