Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Im 21and I've just been wondering what causes me to have a

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** 21and I've just been wondering what causes me to have a period twice in one month? My first period came on july 17th and went off on the 26th and then it came back on on the 31st and just went off on the 8th. I've haven't had that problem since i was off of the depo shot and my last shot was in November so currently im not on any birth control andand i am sexually active. Lately ive been having dizzy spells and headches and just sleepy but other than that Im fine.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, and welcome.

I can help you with this.

First, you need to make sure that the second period was not implantation bleeding because you are pregnant.

A pregnancy test is in order at your due date, or a blood test before that.

Otherwise, anything that disrupts your hormones can do this, hormone imbalance being the most common cause.

also: stress, weight loss or gain, too much exercise or too little, and other problems such as thyroid, liver or kidney.

So, if this is new for you, talk with your doctor and have an exam.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here