DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internist trained in OB/GYN
55099014

I had the mirena iud inserted and spotted almost always for

Customer Question

I had the mirena iud inserted and spotted almost always for 6 months. I did have a period every month (or so) while it was in. I finally had it removed. I had a light period about 2 weeks before removal. i had no bleeding or cramps for 2 days after removal and then I got strong cramps and a period that looked like my pre mirena days that lasted for about 5 days. Then I had no bleeding for 2 days. Now the bleeding has started again. It looks like my period while I was on mirena. What is going on? I had very regular 28 day cycles and actually got my period back 4 weeks after giving birth (both times) so this irregularity is confusing me. I just got my Pap test results and they are normal
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Stan, here to help you.
Board Certified with 40 years of Patient Care. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

sorry, there was a computer glitch but it is fixed now. You are having a hormonal challenge that should clear on its own in 3 months. If not, your Gynecologist will give you a medicine, Provera, that will bring your cycle back to normal. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars, this is how I am credited for my response. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. What is causing the imbalance and what can I expect in the next 3 months? Was the bleed that I had 2 days after removal my period or is this my period? I have a history of falling pregnant quickly and I want to avoid that as well
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Mirena is a hormone releasing IUD, when implanted, replaces hormones similar to birth control pills. When it is removed, you body needs time to re-adjust. The bleed 2 days after removal was most likely not your period, just a reaction to the trauma of removal. Given time, your body will return to your previous normal regarding your periods.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you give me any insight as to why I bled for 6 months straight?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this question

Can I help?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you see the original question? I don't know what is going on with the previous expert but connection seems to be really slow and may be dropping out

Thanks for this question

I think you probably had an issue with the mirena

it could have been positioned to where it was irritating and that was causing the bleed