Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

Lump on the left wall of my vagina. What could it be?

Customer Question

I found a lump on the left wall of my vagina and am kinda worried of what it may be. I only noticed it while shaving and it is tender when I apply pressure. I have never had sex.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.
1) Approximate size of the lump?
2) Do you have fever?
3) Any recent weight loss?
4) Any kind of injury or trauma to the vagina recently?
5) Any lymph gland enlargement in the groin or other areas?
6) Any other new or unusual symptoms recently?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the lump is no bigger than a pea and is long and flat shaped
no fever
yes recent weight loss but from exercise
no injury or trama but i am on my period and didn't know if my jeans rubbed against my pad wrong
and no lymph gland enlargement
and no new symptoms
There are varieties of causes for a lump you have described in the vaginal wall. This could be due to some infection, for example a Bartholin gland abscess can cause a lump like this
There are various swellings called as Inclusion cysts than can cause this type of lumps. There are many other causes of benign lumps like this. You need a thorough examination of this lump in the clinic followed by any relevant investigations as necessary, and then treated appropriately. And please not to panic, these type of lumps most often are due to some benign treatable/curable conditions, so not to start suspecting something serious. An early diagnosis & treatment gives best chance for complete cure so please try to get this examined in the clinic at the earliest.
To discuss this further, I am really confident this is most likely a benign lump. That is why I was emphasizing on the possibility of benign possibilities above. And this assessment was based on several points that - first of all you have noticed this just recently. If this lump was sitting there for a long time, then probably you would have noticed it much earlier, and also other favorable points like absence of weight loss (except related to exercise), and also the absence of lymph gland enlargement, absence of any other new or unusual symptoms, etc. This type of history is mostly suggestive of some benign cause for this lump, rather than something serious in nature. So once again, I reassure you this is most likely some kind of benign condition. This needs to be examined and investigated in the clinic though. But I very strongly feel this is going to turn out to be some benign condition instead of something serious.