Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I went to my OBGYN Specialist for a check up last week and

Customer Question

Hi
I went to my OBGYN Specialist for a check up last week and while doing an ultrasound he advised me that my Uterus lining was thick. I was on day 2 of my period at the time. I asked him if he was concerned about it being Cancer and he all but laughed and said no. He advised that my uterus was uniformly thick and Cancer of the uterus show up "differently" in an ultrasound (he said it would usually show up with black marks)
I am 29 years old, and was trying to fall pregnant and underwent assisted reproduction for about 13 months which included lots of clomid. I never successfully fell pregnant and this ended in my marriage break down 12 months ago.
I have been having brown discharge / Spotting for over 5 years now before every period.
I have used google to find out what could cause the thickening of my uterus and now im just extremely frightened that it could be cancer.
My gp and my specilist do not seem concerned but have ordered a hysteroscopy.
My question is, Can things like fibroid or polyps make the uterus lining look thick in an ultrasound?
Could longer use of clomid cause a thickened lining?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer,

Any underlying condition that will cause a high estrogen but little or no progestogen activity, can resul in endometrial hyperplasia. Causes for infertility such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) may be the cause for a thickened endometrium. If you are not taking any medication at present then medications are not the cause. In most cases this is due to simple hyperplasia, therefore please do not worry and have the hysteroscopy done. Fibroid and polyps will not cause endometrial hyperplasia.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is my Specialist correct in saying that Endometrial cancer would present differently on the Ultrasound?

Dear customer,

Yes cancer will present differently causing asymmetric thickening and not the uniform increase in endometrial thickness that is seen in benign conditions.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Thanks.