Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

When I sweat, clear discharge comes out from my breasts.

Customer Question

I have noticed that when I sweat a lot, at the end of the day if I "milk" my breast a clear fluid comes out. I can almost always produce some clear nipple discharge, but it is a LOT when I've really been sweating. I'm 27 years old. On birth control pills. I mentioned this to my GP last year and she was not concerned at all. I have no breast lumps. Some breast tenderness, but nothing extreme. I trust that my doctor believes this is safe, but it's always on the back of my mind. I have talked to my doctor about this problem. She said it was nothing to worry about. I am taking Yasmin, Adderall, and Zoloft. I also take an OTC B12 supplement and an iron supplement while I'm on my period. I have some mild breast tenderness before and during my periods. Nothing very concerning to me. My cycles are pretty regular. I've been on Yasmin for 9 months and it has really helped me. I occasionally have some light bleeding between periods. Also, this occurs in both breasts, but worse in my left breast. I have endometriosis and an autoimmune disorder- lupus. Any thoughts?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well I would agree with your doctor that this does not seem to something of much concern. Usually if their is nipple discharge from both the breasts, the usual cause is benign in nature however if it was only from one breast that would warrant looking into several causes for the problem. Discharge from both breasts can be due to a hormonal imbalance or even due to an endocrine problem like a thyroid disorder. if the discharge resembles milk (at times other than being clear fluid) then a prolactinoma can be considered as the cause which cause the breasts to produce milk. Secondly, it is commonly known that stimulating the breasts excessively can also result in production of a discharge like this, try not milking the breasts and see if it occurs spontaneously. If it doesn't that is another reason to not be worried about this because if this was due to a pathology then it would occur spontaneously and without any stimulation. Fibrocystic breast disease can also cause a discharge but again that would occur spontaneously and would cause changes in the breast tissue as well. Since you have lupus I assume you are on some medication for it, it is likely that the medications that you are using for it could be the cause. Even Yasmin has been known to cause this problem as well. In short I don't believe that this is a serious condition but if this starts to occur spontaneously then I would recommend a complete workup by visiting your doctor again. Since this occurs only when you sweat a lot and only after pressing your breasts, I believe this is not anything you should be concerned about.