Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have cervicitis. I got tested for all STDs and am clean

Customer Question

Hello, I have cervicitis. I got tested for all STDs and am clean and also have a clean pap. I had cryotherapy and 2 weeks after I have bleeding again. Are there other ways to treat cervicitis besides Cryo?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have seen a doctor several times. She just prescribed me a medicine but i haven't taken it yet.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 months ago.

What are the symptoms of your cervicitis?

Did you see your doctor after the bleeding 2 weeks after cryo? If so, what did he/she say about your cervix? Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I first had serious bleeding during intercourse one time. I then had irregular bleeding between cycles. I went in and during the pelvic exam I started bleeding again. I was diagnosed with cervicitis and tested for all stds. I am clean so my doctor recommended cryotherapy. I had that done 2 weeks ago and then today started bleeding again from the same spot (I went in this morning and she said it is the same location). She said my cervix is very inflamed and sensitive. She wanted to do cryo again today but I held off and opted for antibiotics. She prescribed dioxydine (I believe) it's getting filled now

I suspect that your cervicitis has not had enough time to resolve after the cryo, and that's the reason you still have bleeding. Most likely with time the cervix will heal and the bleeding will resolve.

The antibiotics may or may not make any difference. You probably mostly need some time for healing to occur, and then the bleeding will stop.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok how long do you suggest waiting before considering other options (cryo again, etc) and is there anything else that would help like pro biotics or anything? Obviously I'm not having sex or using tampons

I would probably wait another 2 weeks. It takes a while for the cervix to heal after cryo, and the cryo causes inflammation which is similar to cervicitis.

I don't think anything else will be helpful, just time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you!

You're welcome.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.