Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

I am a retired general surgeon and am stumped my wife's

Customer Question

I am a retired general surgeon and am stumped my wife's continued hot flashes, 20 years post menopause. She had a OCP related pulmonary embolus approximately 45 years ago. She has had idiopathic diabetes insipidus that began about one year after the PE. She has sweat-drenching hot flashes regularly, but not every day. They are somewhat less than they were 20 years ago, but still very disconcerting and discouraging. She also takes paroxytene 30mg daily for OCD, and has been on that since 1999. Her gyn and IM doctors have really ignored her complaints about this, but is is extremely wearing on her physically and mentally.
Thank you for your time.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your wife's bad hot flashes. it sounds like she has been suffering with them for a long time now.

often times paroxetine can help decrease hot flash symptoms, but it doesn't sound like they are working for her.

for many woman, effexor or venlafaxine can help decrease hot flash symptoms, but usually this shouldn't be taken with paroxetine

she can go on low dose estrogen therapy like in a birth control pill sort of level, but this has very low risks for causing blood clots and with her PE history, most doctors won't want to give her estrogen hormone.

she should get her thyroid hormone levels checked to make sure they are in normal range.

it sounds like she has tried over the counter agents like Black Cohosh already, correct?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/279714.php

she should try acupuncture to see if that helps with her hot flash symptoms. has she tried this?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After over 1 1/2 hours of trying to open to see your answer, all I have encountered is computer jibberish that means nothing to me. As a caring surgeon, who took calls 24/7, never charging anything for it, I now understand why America's Hitler (AKA B. Obama) got his plan through. It is extremely long on charges and profits for the medical corporations, and completely devoid of care for patients. Your response has been as helpful as that of the induce them on Thursday so I don't spoil my week-end OB/Gyn' here in the greater Phoenix area. God help you when you perforate a diverticulum of the colon, because I have withnessed the same crap from my surgical colleaques down here, that can always find another test for the man to send a bill out for and keep the surgeon in bed!
Expert:  Dr David replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry you had computer problems and didn't get my response until two days later.

ask you can see from the time stamps on the responses above, you asked your question on

July 26, 2016 26/07/2016 01:04

and I answered on

July 26, 2016 26/07/2016 01:14

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com