Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I was in Emergency room at hospital 6 days ago bleeding

Customer Question

I was in Emergency room at hospital 6 days ago for excessive bleeding (tampons and pads soaked through in 30 minutes). I was given Aygestin 5mg and told to take every 6 hours until bleeding stops, then every 8 hrs for 3 days, then 12 hours for 3 days then daily until I can get a Mirena placed. If bleeding returned on 1/day go back to 2.
Bleeding slowed significantly in first 48 hours but continues light (spotting to light flow). I can't go without a tampon or pad so I don't consider that it has stopped. Tonight I have cramping again. Should I contact my doctor and adjust to a higher dose, request exam (didn't do one in ER, flow was way too heavy to have been helpful), or is this normal? In January I had a pap with ASC-US and planned retest in a year. Of course that is lingering in the back of my mind. I have an appointment to get a mirena on August 4th, about 10 days from now. I haven't yet adjusted my Aygestin dose down from 20mg per day.
Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I would continue to take the Aygestin as directed.

I would not change the dose for now.

your bleeding is getting better.

it is not the ascus which is causing your heavy bleeding.

you should call up your gyn doctor and get a gyn exam when you can.

let me know if you have questions.