Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University

I am a 39 year old women and experiencing a multitude of

Customer Question

I am a 39 year old women and experiencing a multitude of symptoms. To start, my cycle started almost a week earlier then normal. Not as heavy but still a good amount (my normal 2-3 days). I've been experiencing a lot of cramping and my breast are very sore. I have headaches, body aches and nausea all throughout the day. I've found myself really sluggish and unmotivated. My husband and I do have unprotected sex (last time 3 weeks ago) a week later I started experiencing nasal congestion and sore breast, then the other symptoms followed. These symptoms are now going on 3 weeks. For the last week my appetite has increased and my stomach rumbles all through the day even after I eat. I took a pregnancy test but it came up negative. Not sure if it's to soon to detect. I would like to add that a month prior to the symptoms I started a detox that consisted of drinking a turmeric and ginger tea twice daily. I did that for about 3 weeks. I have read that maybe it could be the cause of an early cycle, but I'm still confused about all the other symptoms.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine.

I understand your concerns. The problem you described could be related to gastro esophageal reflux after the detox program you did. The other symptoms including the sore breast and mood are likely from hormonal dysregulation in your case an early cycle is possible. For your stomach problems you can try over the counter omeprazole once a day and follow a regular diet. The hormonal problem usually trends to normalize after a couple of weeks. You should repeat a pregnancy test in a week. When was your last menstrual period? Let me know if you have any other questions

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. But my breast and all symptoms are still present and it has been almost 2 weeks since the early cycle ended (7/15). The cramping is similar to that of cycle cramping, not so much acid build up or gas.

Persistent cramping can be related to myomas, polyps, thyroid problems or dysmenorrhea. The first step is to do a pregnancy test that you already did it. However a test in blood will be more appropriate at this point for reassurance. A vaginal ultrasound may be necessary too. You should see your PCP or OBGYN to have a full assessment done and rule out any of these conditions. Let me know if you have any other questions