Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had intercourse a little over a month ago and got my

Customer Question

I had intercourse a little over a month ago and got my period 2 weeks later. I'm 2 weeks away from my next expected period but having some pregnancy symptoms so I took a test (25 days after intercourse). It was negative, but I'm still concerned. Would that test be accurate or do I have to wait until closer to my next period?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you in any pain?
Customer: Some mild cramping and nausea for the past week now, but that occasionally happens for me with PMS
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Most home pregnancy tests are accurate after your first missed period. Since you have already had a period and are nearing your next expected one it is likely that your negative result was correct -- and you are not pregnant.

So. What is the take home message?

Given what you have posted, it is very unlikely that your intercourse a month ago resulted in pregnancy.

Here is a good website you might find helpful:

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/ask-dr-cullins/pregnancy-q-a

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS