Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am a 52 year old woman, and I am waking up with night

Customer Question

hi I am a 52 year old woman, and I am waking up with night sweats. I have had a full hysterectomy. and I don't have anything. will I still go through menopause? and I have discharge coming out of my cervix. what is that from? thanks also. my legs are really heavy all of the time, and when I get tired, its hard to walk, I have been told by many of my friends, I may have MS. but I think its something else. I am willing to go to a doctor, but not sure what to test for? Thank you tons. Denise
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now since you dont have your ovaries that means that you have already begun to undergo menopause, the hormones are produced by the ovaries and since you dont have them, you would have started to experience changes consistent with menopause by now. The sweats could be associated with these changes in addition you can experience mood changes, fatigue, hot flashes etc etc. So if this is the case then hormone replacement therapy may mitigate some of these symptoms.

The discharge which is coming from your vagina/cervix can be associated with a local infection in the area. This can be bacterial in nature or even fungal. In most cases the discharge may be whitish or yellowish in color and can be diagnosed with a simple pelvic examination as well as a high vaginal swab for culture. Simple antibuiotic therapy and antifungal therapy would solve the problem. It is also possible that you may also have a concomittant UTI with this discharge and that is why a urine test would also be advisable here.

Now the leg heaviness can be a symptom of many things other than MS. It can be indicative of simple dehydration or even electrolyte deficiency. Potassium and magnesium deficiency can lead to this problem quite often and a simple blood test would determine if this is the case. Electrolytes can be replaced solving the problem. Try drinking more water than usual and using electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade. Another cause of this can be associated with the muscles themselves, diseases like myopathies or myositis can cause weakness in the muscles and would cause you difficulty in standing up from a squatting position. These would be diagnosed with the help of muscle enzymes and EMG tests. The treatment varies according to the cause. Another cause can be thyroid disorders which can explain the sweating as well as the muscle weakness as thyroid disorders can cause myopathies. This would be diagnosed with a simple thyroid function test.

Now i would suggest that you that you have ypour doctor look into the above possibilities and run a few tests to determine the final diagnosis.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,