Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I thought I had a yeast infection so I used otc monistat

Customer Question

I thought I had a yeast infection so I used otc monistat Maximum strength one day treatment Thursday since I used the treatment my vaginia has had an extreme internal burning and nothing is stopping the burn, when I urinate it burns so much I am in tears and I cannot even sit down correctly it burns and hurts to bad how can I sooth and stop the burning, it almost feels
like my whole inside is raw or burnt or something like that, I have tried; the monistat itch cream made it hurt worse, a&d ointment, Vaseline, ice cubes and ice packs and nothing is making it better you would think the burning would have subsided but it's just as bad as Thursday and no signs of relief
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

I am a double board certified US doctor ans will help you.

You can not say this is a yeast infection.

It can be bacterial vaginosis, an you can have a urinary tract infection as well.

This can become more serious if you keep trying over the counter treatments.

Go have an exam, a urinalysis, and probably a correct antibiotic.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here