Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

Pregnancy and pancreatic pain Wife is on the 20th week. She

Customer Question

Pregnancy and pancreatic pain
Wife is on the 20th week. She did prenatal overseas where she was for several months. She got back to the USA 6 days ago. We haven't got an OBGYN yet. Her insurance does not start until the 1st of the month. She had pancreatic pain 5-6 weeks ago, which went away the next day. She felt that pain again yesterday. It was sharp. Today the pain is dull. We applied ice and 1 capsule of Acetaminophen. What should we do, given our OBGYN and insurance situation?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

It sounds like your wife might have pancreatitis in her pregnancy.

Fortunately she is only at 20 weeks and the risk of going into labor at this time in low.

Having said that, pancreatitis can vary in severity and occasionally needs surgery in order to resolve.

You can have fairly simple blood tests done to rule out pancreatitis while avoiding the need to pay for an ER visit, CT scan, admission etc.

I would try to get in to a clinic who can perform these tests ASAP but if she feels worse or pain is unbearable I would take her to the ER.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Is there anything else I can help you with today?