Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am 52 yrs old and have not had my period in five months.I

Customer Question

I am 52 yrs old and have not had my period in five months.I had sex unprotected for the first time in three years do I need plan B
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns. I am experienced in diagnosing and managing the health concerns you have mentioned here related to the sexual exposure & risk of pregnancy.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your current situation;

1) When was the last sexual encounter you had (how many hours or days ago)?

2) What was the absence of periods x 5 months attributed to?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last sexual encounter was three years ago I am not sure I had an IUD removed in 2014. Some periods but none in last five months I am 53
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry 52

Okay I see. Are you asking about Plan B to prevent an unwanted pregnancy?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought plan B I just had the encounter less than ten hours ago
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Okay I see, I appreciate so much for all these additional information! I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Most likely you do not need any Plan B in your case.

You did not have period for many months most likely implies you are menopausal, and also implies you are not undergoing any ovulation now

So you do not have any suspicion for developing pregnancy

Please see that Plan B is supposed to be used within 72 hours after sexual exposure, and in your case the exposure took about 10 hours ago, so you are still within the window period

This means if you do not want to take any chance then you may go ahead and use Plan B

This way you are not taking any risk of pregnancy, however most likely you are not undergoing ovulation as pointed earlier above so you most likely do not need Plan B

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would rather not take it since I have not been feeling well recently and have not slept recently and I don't want the side effects which I figure I'll probably throw up so I'd rather not if I don't have to

Okay I see, I strongly feel you will do fine without Plan B because it is extremely unlikely you will become pregnant due to this recent exposure. So you may avoid using Plan B.