Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Is travelling in the 14th week of pregnancy with low placenta safe?

Customer Question

I am on my 14th week of pregnancy. I am planning to travel but the dr discovered minor low placenta. Is it safe or not?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now a low lying placenta or a placenta previa is a condition in which the placenta (the portion which delivers the blood and nutrients to the baby) is lying over the opening of the uterus. There are different grades of the placenta previa. It is possible that only a small part of the placenta is present over the opening of the uterus which i believe is the case here as your doctor said that it a minor issue. During pregnancy, the placenta moves as the uterus stretches and grows. It is very normal for the placenta to be low in the uterus in early pregnancy. But as the pregnancy continues, the placenta typically moves to the top of the uterus. By the third trimester, the placenta should be near the top of the womb, so the cervix has a clear path for delivery. If this is the case in the last stages of your pregnancy then it would be termed as placenta previa.
Now at the moment this is not a major issue as chances are that by the end of your pregnancy it should come back up to its normal place, but it does mean that you do have to rest more than usual. Exertion is to be avoided and if you develop bleeding at any point in time, IMMEDIATELY go to the ER or urgent care center.