Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I'm asking this daughter. She has pcos and spots everyday.

Customer Question

I'm asking this for my daughter. She has pcos and spots everyday. This is really getting her down but she doesn't want to go back on the pill. Is there anything else she can take to stop this spotting which is dragging her.down. Thanks from a concerned mum.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes we have seen a gynae consultant who said she cld try norithestone for 10 days which she did, 3 days after stopping it she began to bleed and spot every day again. She wld like to try for a baby but with the bleeding every day it is making it very difficult to even try!
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: No fever but she has a raised aptt of 41
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Mum has had breast cancer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

how old is she?

Does she have any other medical problems or take any medications?

How long has she been spotting?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 23. No other medical problems
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Spotting since November 2015
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello are we still connected

Hi. I had to finish up afternoon clinic....sorry for the delay

From what you have posted your daughter might benefit from a hormone releasing IUD if the pill is not something she wants to use.

The presence of fibroids or polyups has to be ruled out and a endometrial biopsy may even be indicated.

So. What is the take home message?

The best thing for your daughter to do is have a new complete evaluation by an OB/GYN, perhaps a different one then her current doctor. After a complete history, physical, possible lab evaluation he will be able to advise her on other options than birth control pills to stop her spotting.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS