Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am 47 and have had normal periods all my life this time i

Customer Question

i am 47 and have had normal periods all my life this time i have been on my period sense june 27th i have a doctors app but can not be seen before the 25th should i go to a urgent care?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns. I have experience in diagnosing and managing the health situations you have mentioned here related to the menstrual irregularity/persistent prolonged bleeding.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health situation;

1) Are you saying that you are having almost a non-stop period since June 27th? (on daily basis)?

2) Is it mild or moderate or heavy bleeding?

3) Are you having any symptoms due to blood loss like dehydration, dizziness, fainting, tiredness etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
bleeding steady not heavy but not light no dizzy or anything else always been a 3 day a month and that's it this has stopped a couple hours at a time then it's right back

Okay I see, thank you so much for all these additional information! I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am more tired then the normal and still bloated like crazy but other wise normal cramp

Okay I see, once again thank you so much, I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready: I am posting my answer here;

Yes, it is important that you see a Dr asap

Since immediate or early clinic appointments is not possible so visiting urgent care or ER is prudent to do now

It is certainly not normal for persistent & prolonged bleeding like this

There are myriad underlying health conditions that can cause prolonged bleeding like this

This need to be investigated asap to identify the precise cause and then treated appropriately

Persistent bleeding can also cause severe anemia and many complications related to it, so identifying the cause for persistent bleeding & stopping it at the earliest is of paramount importance for this perspective too

So visiting Urgent care or ER is the most prudent thing to do now

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Went to urgent care he said suffer it out till appointment on 25th could be menapause but nothing he can do did not even exam me

Appreciate providing me with these additional information. I am very sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.

Yes, you may be nearing menopause, but I am not sure whether the urgent care can make that decision straight away

I thought they still have to explore other possibilities

You have mentioned this is happening first time for you, so we are supposed to rule out any other pathological possibilities before considering this is related to nearing menopause

The period can become irregular as menopause nears, but that is a diagnosis by exclusion, means other possibilities need to be first ruled out

As long as you are not having any severe symptoms from bleeding you may wait for your clinic appointment, hopefully this is all perimenopausal, nothing else is causing this persistent bleeding.

But surprised that urgent care drs did not even exam you. Hope you are not having anemia from bleeding. You did mention tiredness more than usual, so this could be from losing blood & developing anemia.

If another urgent care is nearby, or an ER you may try to visit it too, if feasible to you.