Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

I'm concerned with a red spot which appeared on my glan,

Customer Question

Hi, I'm concerned with a red spot which appeared on my glan, about 2 weeks ago. I don't suffer from any other symptoms except of the red spot. It's not itchy and appear flat. I haven't had sexual activities for the longest time. The only thing i did was to masturbate the night before this showed up.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama,

Would you be able to upload a picture?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are some pictures.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had something similar when i was yonger, but never took this long to go away. Before I would get a red spot after intense sexual activities and this would turn into dry skin. Not it's still there and I'm getting anxious, maybe there's no dryskin because it's summer and the sweat makes it go away?

This is known as molluscum contagiosum which is small painless, smooth skin-colored bumps that are usually sexually transmitted, but can also transmitted through auto-inoculation from other parts of the body. Molluscum is harmless and is usually self-limited which gradually resolves over several months.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi there, when you say it's normally transmitted sexually, if I don't have interactions, how would it transfer from other parts of my body? I'm concerned as my dad has herpes and my penis touch the toilet bowl after he went in. Is this a possible herpes case?if you can let me know, I'm really anxious about this.

No. This is not herpes and you cannot get herpes like that.

Since this is a virus, often times it can be transmitted and stay in your body and manifest itself much later not necessarily right after the point of contact.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what can I do to have this virus go away? Is there anything I should not do or do? Like no maturbation? I see after maturbating it becomes redder? Should i not have sexual activities until this goes away? Should i take pills?

There is an over the counter medication known as Compound W which occasionally helps but this condition usually resolves over the course of time and no treatment is needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what about other people, could they get infected too?

Yes, it is contagious but it is not serious in any way.

You can develop more of these lesions but they are self-limiting.