Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am 18 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have been on 100mg of

Customer Question

I am 18 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have been on 100mg of progesterone since day one since i have had 2 previous miscarriages. All is well but im afraid to stop taking it when is it safe to stop or should i take it the entire time.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for this question. Well oral progesterone is safe to use during pregnancy and infact in some cases it is prescribed to be used if your body is not producing enough progesterone during pregnancy. However it would be best if you talk tyo your doctor about this, Usually this is prescribed in those women who have had repeated miscarriages as in your case to help getting pregnant again. Secondly it is also used in situations where the progesterone levels in the body are not adequate enough to support the pregnacy and in such cases it is used for teh first twelve weeks untll the placenta takes over production of progesterone.

So if you were prescribed progesterone, i would recommend that you talk to your OB/GYN before stopping the drug and even if he didnt prescribe this to you, talk to him about discontinuation he can check to see if you actually need the progesterone at this point in time.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/