Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I had a vulval biopsy to confirm or deny the fact that I had

Customer Question

Hello, I had a vulval biopsy to confirm or deny the fact that I had lichen sclerosis. As it turns out, I do. My only symptoms have been some pain with intercourse and my skin turning whitish around my vulva. I am wondering how long the biopsy takes to heal (it was a punch biopsy) as it has been two weeks and the wound is still there and slightly tender. Also, do all lichen sclerosis patients have awful symptoms as I've read on the internet? So far, I do not have itching or scarring, but what I've seen on the internet scares the heck out of me...I'm also scared of getting vulval cancer - I have already had skin cancer on my face (basal) and have a family history of basal skin cancer. Please let me know if you are an OB/GYN what your thoughts are. Is this condition common??? I have never heard of it. I'm freaked out.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello

You might have a mild case, and you don't have to have symptoms.

You do have to treat this.

The biopsy can easily get infected.

You need a cream from your doctor called mupiricin.

Proper treatment of the sclerosis can prevent cancer formation.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, am wondering how common this condition is? Do you know if my family history of basal skin cancer would make me more prone to developing vulval cancer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also it is not bleeding and there is no pus. I am using Neosporin.

No.

Basal cell is not related.

this is not a very common ailment, but it is not rare.

It is autoimmune.

Neosporin is useless for an actual infection.

A prescription cream called mupiricin is preferred.