Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

How to prevent myself from getting pregnant if i just had

Customer Question

How to prevent myself from getting pregnant if i just had unprotected sex after 1day of my period ends on 9th july @8pm & i am having 28days period cycle.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 months ago.

Did you have sex day 2 of your period, or a day after your period ended? Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its day 2 of my period ended

Having sex on day 2 after your period ended could result in pregnancy.

The best way to avoid pregnancy is by using emergency contraception. This can be using pills, such as Plan B, or the very best way would be to have a copper IUD inserted, which would almost always prevent pregnancy. Best regards.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Which pill do U prefer for me & is there any side effects after taking it as i have to catch up an overnight flight . What are the chances to get pregnant after taking plan B pill after having sex on 2nd day of period ends?And also what is that copper IUD?

Plan B is available without a prescription in the US, and is the best pill available. Side effects are usually minimal.

Plan B will prevent 90% of the pregnancies that might have occurred. Since pregnancy is not really likely having sex soon after a period ends. Plan B will prevent almost all pregnancies.

The copper IUD is something that a doctor puts inside your uterus to prevent pregnancy. It prevents almost all pregnancies.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How many pills should I take? And would it work now.....its almost 16 hours after I had sex?

It works for 3 days or more ofter sex, but better to use it sooner rather than later. Plan B One Step is a single pill that you take once.

If I've been helpful, please click on the rating stars.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.