Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology

I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing CONSTANT

Customer Question

Hi i am 30 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing CONSTANT 24/7 dizziness since mid june. I started using a zofran pump for my nausea end of may and was instructed to try to discontinue use to see if that is causing my symptoms. I was using 20 mg per day on the pump and stopped using it yesterday at i have been off of it for 36 hours now and I am still just as dizzy no improvements. I haven't been able to eat much cause of the dizziness and indigestion. I maybe get in about 800 calories a day on average and maybe 50 oz of water on average per day. Do you have any idea why I am so dizzy and why it won't stop and what i could do besides take meclizine to make it END? It is very uncomfortable. Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

does the meclizine help?

do you have allergy symptoms or sinus congestion? this can cause headaches and dizziness.

do you have severe anxiety symptoms? this can cause dizziness as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no meclizine does not help. I do have allergies to cats. My mom has cats in her house but i stay away from them. I am not experiencing any allergy symptoms right now. I did a few weeks ago. Yes i do have anxiety but i feel it is resulting from the dizziness rather than causing it. and like i said its constant from when i wake up to when i go to bed and never seems to get better.
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

did you have dizziness symptoms prior to pregnancy?

have you tried hydroxyzine? this could help decrease anxiety and help your dizziness as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i did. I was diagnosed with Migraine Associated Vertigo in the past and had some minor problems with my balance but not to this severity. I don't even like getting out of bed at this point. Taking care of myself is hard. I definitely can't drive anymore either. I have not tried that, I may ask my doctor about it. I just hope it cant make dizziness worse. A week ago i took a xanax for my anxiety and it gave me vertigo an hour later and lasted hours it was horrible. So i am kind of afraid of meds now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I asked a new neurologist in my area and he said he doubts is MAV. So i am just wondering what the heck this is its gotten HORRIBLE since week 26 ish...I stopped buspar around that time and stopped taking phenergan as well. I did have a vertigo episode. Seems like after that my balance went to hell. Then i had another with the xanax and now i am completely like incapacitated lol
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

severe anxiety can cause severe dizziness and vertigo

xanax is not a good idea during pregnancy

but you may be able to take an SSRI agent like sertraline or paroxetine

you stopped xanax which is for anxiety

you stopped buspar as well

so your anxiety and vertigo symptoms are worse.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are worse. But its weird....I don't have vertigo all the time it is more just a constant dizziness disequilibrium unsteadiness type of dizziness when sitting up or standing and walking as well. Laying down feels good thats about it.
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

sounds like it is most likely due to your anxiety symptoms causing your symptoms.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it is anxiety, would it be possible to rule that out if I took ativan, valium and xanax and i still had the dizziness?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cause i tried all those meds and the dizziness still exists...
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

yes, with severe anxiety symptoms, you can still have dizziness after taking ativan and valium.

these will help somewhat , but if you have severe anxiety you can still have symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when i took xanax it gave me vertigo so i feel hopeless basically.
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

SSRI agent like sertraline or paroxetine could help your vertigo and dizziness symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. But do they cause nausea? Thats another issue of mine. Stuff like that causing nausea. I took lexapro and couldn't eat for days had to stop taking it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would Nortriptyline be helpful? I was prescribed this for Migraine Associated Vertigo
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

your pregnancy can cause nausea.

your anxiety symptoms can cause nausea.

nortriptyline is not a great choice if you are pregnant.

you should talk to your doctor about other options.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist said it is ok to take.....
Expert:  Dr David replied 3 months ago.

then give it a try then.