Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

I am 27 weeks pregnant and concerned about listeria. I am

Customer Question

I am 27 weeks pregnant and concerned about listeria. I am really careful about what I eat but have been worried about getting listeria my entire pregnancy. Today all of a sudden I felt dizzy and nauseated and like I could pass out. I just don't feel right. I am slightly anemic and my doctor started me on iron a couple days ago. I don't have diarrhea or vomiting but whenever I don't feel right, I get concerned about listeria. When do I know if I would have it or when to seek treatment? If I did have it, could I prevent the baby from getting it? Please help.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 9 months ago.

Hello ,

Listeia is rare but true that pregnancy carries increased risk. Food contamination is source.. Fever / fatigue would be common symptoms ( nonspecific of course ) I would always advise in general evaluation of illness with fever over 101.0 in pregnancy

You may see site for CDC. -- other references as well ...www.CDC.gov >> then look up Listeria for details

It is a rare infection however and you are not likely at all to get that particular illness ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS -- Are you a micobiologist or something ? Only person EVER that has expressed this particular concern !!