Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My pap results came back saying this: Pap Lb, Rfx Hpv Ascu,

Customer Question

my pap results came back saying this:
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Pap Lb, Rfx Hpv Ascu
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no ma'am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The Lb refers to liquid based, which is a specific type of Pap smear.

ASCU, sometimes also referred to as ASCUS, refers to atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. It is a mild abnormality of the cervical cells, and can frequently be due to infections of the cervix.

Rfx HPV refers to reflex testing for HPV is any ASCU is detected.

These terms can be used to describe the test that is ordered by the doctor. If either ASCU or HPV is detected, there is usually separate statement of what is positive.

In most cases of ASCU, the patient may simply be monitored and the Pap smear repeated in a year, although the decision of management would also depend upon what is seen on exam.

If you have the full report and can attach it, I can tell you whether the terms were referring to the test that was ordered or whether either ASCU or HPV was detected.

I have not heard back regarding whether you have the full report and I have not heard back.

If the test identifies ASCU or HPV, there would usually be an additional term to indicate that identification, however, the words can vary. The most commonly used terms would be the terms, positive or detected.

Many labs will also summarize the findings at the end of the report, so any findings would be stated. But if the summary is that the result is normal, then all of these terms were simply used to describe the test that was ordered by your doctor.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information,