Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Recently my discharge has been so heavy I need to wear a pad

Customer Question

Recently my discharge has been so heavy I need to wear a pad or tampon, is there any natural ways (ie diet, exercise, vitamins) that I can use to regulate it?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i dont take any meds, and i havent seen my doctor yet.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope, otherwise in great health.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 months ago.

How old are you?

Is there any chance of an STD?

Is there an odor to the discharge?

When was your last exam and Pap smear? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im 28, I havent been sexually active in the last 4 months and was with the same person for 5 years before that, so I dont think it could be an STD, theres no odor, my last exam was 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I recently moved across country for work, is it possible that it might be stress related or allergy related?

How regular are your periods?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i can set my clock by them.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
very regular.

I don't think there are any natural ways to reduce your discharge. It depends mostly on what is causing the heavy discharge. It might be related to some changes in your cervix, in which case freezing the cervix may resolve the discharge.

Sometimes increased discharge may be due to hormonal changes, but that's not usually the case with normal periods.

I would recommend seeing your doctor for an exam and to figure out the cause of the discharge. Best wishes.