Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, years of experience in the field of Surgery and Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a 32 year old female and have a question about Plan. I

Customer Question

Hello. I am a 32 year old female and have a question about Plan B. I have never been pregnant, and have only briefly been on birth control in my early twenties. I am considering taking Plan B after having sex last night without protection or pull out. It is a week after my last period and apparently my most fertile time. I have taken Plan B before on occasion but am now unsure about taking it because the more I read it seems to work through abortive measures by making the embryo not able to attach to the uterus wall. I would not be comfortable with that. I'm also worried that if it didn't prevent pregnancy it could possibly cause birth defects or developmental defects and complications in the baby that grew. Would you be able to shed light on the workings of Plan B to help me make a more informed decision? Thank you so much for your time!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

Plan B is safe in a way that it delays ovulation or prevent fertilization by altering tubal transport of the sperm and the third mechanism may be prevention of implantation. However it does not cause birth defects if pregnancy occurs. So the choice is yours as it prevents fertilization on the first hand.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.