Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I just have I&D done on an abscess that formed on the top of

Customer Question

Hi I just have I&D done on an abscess that formed on the top of my vulva five days ago and everything is healing well down there. How long should my boyfriend and I wait before we can resume sexual intercourse?
JA: Our average wait time is under 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes just a minute. More complicated questions that need more research might take an hour or two. I'd be happy to chat with you while you wait. The stories I've heard working here...
Customer: The abscess was caused by an abrasion to my labia wall because of a mishap at a spinning class that I took
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: I saw an ER doctor five days ago about this issue and was somewhat embarrass to ask him when my boyfriend and I can have sex again. My overall health is pretty good. I don't get sick often
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now since the abscess was drained just five days ago i would suggest that you wait atleast 10 -14 days from the day of drainage to have sexual intercourse with him. It would be best to allow the abscess to heal properly. And it would be better that you experience no pain, it can take up to two weeks for the inflammation to go down. While sexual activity can be attempted earlier but waiting two weeks would be better. A good rule of thumb is when the incision heals competely and there is no pain, then you are safe to resume sexual activity.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,