Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Two weeks ago I had a new partner and a week later, My

Customer Question

Two weeks ago I had a new sexual partner and a week later, My doctor swab tested me and I was positive for BV and yeast. I took metronidazole by mouth for 7 days and diflucan. The next day after the last dose of metronidazole, my OB did another swab because I was very inflamed again, and I tested positive again for BV and yeast. This was one day ago, so I currently have bacterial Vaginosis and a yeast infection. My doctor prescribed me medication but told me not to take any of it until my period is over. A gel suppository for the BV and a diflucan after the gel is over with, but not until my period is over. My question is, I'm very itchy right at the entrance to the actual vaginal hole. Is this normal for my conditions? I also have some irritation from the rubbing and scratching. I'm just wanting to make sure that there is no underlying sexually transmitted disease, like herpes. Though my BV and yeast were confirmed with cultures... Does this sound normal, in terms of symptoms regarding BV and a yeast infection? Nothing is overly painful just a somewhat sore vaginal area and itchy today. There are no sores or strange discharge that would indicate anything sexually transmitted and tests were negative. Though we did not test for herpes because it is too early and my doctor did not believe there were symptoms for that. There is nothing that is not typical of a yeast infection and BV, but I am just paranoid. Also, in order to avoid a rash and further irritation, what can I do to treat myself in the mean time until my period is over and I can take the medication prescribed? Also, what should I expect in terms of these symptoms getting worse until I can treat them with the meds?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Herpes would cause obvious blisters.

Your doctor would have seen this on exam.

Yes it sounds normal in terms of BV and yeast.

Treatment should be as your doctor prescribes. We do not alter that treatment.

As far as the oral medication goes, I see no reason to wait until your period is over.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here