Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

If I received chlamydia through anal sex can I only transmit

Customer Question

If I received chlamydia through anal sex can I only transmit it through anal sex?
If someone has shown symptoms of chlamydia will they always show symptoms if they get it again?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

In someone that acquires chlamydia from anal sex, it is possible for the germ to be transmitted to the genitalia, and then once affecting the genitalia, it can be transmitted by penile-vaginal sex. It is easier for a woman to transmit the germ from the anus to the vagina than for a man to transmit the germ from the anus to the penis, but it can be done.

In reality, though, this is generally not an issue, because whenever chlamydia is detected, the treatment for the germ will treat any chlamydia in any location in the body.

As for symptoms, many people that acquire chlamydia do not have symptoms, and this is true for an initial infection or if they get infected again. The risk is obviously related to the individual sexual history, but in certain populations, such as a young adult college student population, chlamydia can be found in up to 25% of people without symptoms. The absence of symptoms is not proof that someone is not infected with chlamydia, or indeed for any other STD.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been tested but don't have results back yet but it would have been at least 6 months ago that I got it. How likely would it be in that time frame that the germ did not move from from the anus to the vagina?

That would be impossible to say because that study can never be done. When someone has been infected in the distant past, we typically never know exactly when that happened. If it is present in both locations, we cannot know whether both sites were infected at the same time or was later transmitted from one site to another, and in the latter case, which location was the primary site and which was the secondary site.

And when we detect chlamydia as a current infection, we will treat it, so there are no studies that track the likelihood of transmission from one site to another over time.

So, the likelihood of transmission during that time frame cannot be stated based on any clinical data.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.