LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care
93539917

I had my last period April 9, I got what I thought was my

Customer Question

Hi there!
I had my last period April 9, I got what I thought was my period 5 weeks later which lasted 8 days (first four red bleeding no clotting, last for brown spotting) I still felt pregnant after that and started to be unable to fit in my normal clothes. I got all negative pregnancy tests the entire time! I went into weeks ago (7weeks, 3 days) to a private ultra sound scan to my friends work (she is an us tech) since my doctor wouldn't see me for a couple of weeks. After 10 long minutes of searching she couldn't find anything THEN SUDDENLY the sac and fetal pole and everything appeared with a heartbeat though it was hard to get a count on it. It was the craziest thing! So... I decide to go in randomly yesterday exactly 9 weeks and it was a different tech that didn't look as hard. But she couldn't find anything!!!! I wasn't as hydrated and didn't have a full bladder. I haven't had any signs of a miscarriage and even missed my period (was supposed to arrive 4 days ago..). One thing I should add is about 10 days ago I had three days of globs of clear CM like snot as if the mucus plug was forming. Since then clear slippery CM, the same every day. So I am wondering. Is it possible for a sac to just disappear. Though never diagnosed is it possible I have a severe tilted uterus and that makes it difficult to find the sac on an abdominal ultrasound?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am an OB/GYN and can help you with this. It sounds like you need answers. It would not be typical for a sac to just disappear without any signs of miscarriage. Even though you had lots of mucus discharge, you didn't have any blood, so that is not consistent with a miscarriage. If you have a severely tilted uterus, it can sometimes be VERY difficult to see a pregnancy that is there (this has happened to me...I looked once and thought I didn't see anything and then 2 weeks later I looked again and there was a 12 week baby, so something was there all along, it was just difficult to see). It can be difficult with both transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound to see. My advice is to go to your OB/GYN and get a blood pregnancy test since all of your home pregnancy tests have been negative to confirm that you are pregnant, and then you need to have an ultrasound, both transvaginal and transabdominal to determine what is going on if you are pregnant. Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi La Krystal! Thanks so much for getting to me! Here is my first US picture.. Does it look like a normal sac to you? Can you tell if my uterus is tilted by looking at the picture? Also if I did miscarry it would be an empty sac right! Not just NOTHING?!

In looking at the pictures, it is difficult to tell which way your uterus is tilted. A transvaginal ultrasound would show that best. But just from these pictures, it looks like you have a normally positioned uterus. If there is a gestational sac there, it is very, very small and I don't it or see a yolk sac or a fetal pole. In this picture, I don't see a definitive sac, so either you are not pregnant or you are very early in your pregnancy--like if you became pregnant in May. If you had a miscarriage, you wouldn't see anything at all, not even a sac. Getting the labwork and another ultrasound will clear things up greatly!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay so if there was a miscarriage and no sac, would there be bleeding? Or could it take a long time to bleed possibly?

It would be very unlikely to have a miscarriage without bleeding so I think either you are very, very early pregnant or you were not pregnant when you did that ultrasound. If there is no sac, then I wouldn't expect you to have any bleeding unless it was your period. If you missed your period this month, you may have gotten pregnant later than you thought and are earlier than you expected. We don't really see a gestational sac/yolk sca until 4-5 weeks and no fetal pole with heartbeat until about 6 weeks, so you could have been to early. You will have a better idea of what is going on once you get bloodwork and another ultrasound.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay if in the picture I wasn't pregnant, what is the black sac with the white object? Like what could that be?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also is a cryptic pregnancy a possibility?
The picture quality is not that good so I don't see a sac. But in general, there could be a fluid collection in the endometrium ( inside lining of the uterus) that looks sac like. This is normal and can happen to anyone. If you have a positive blood pregnancy test with a level about 1500-2000, a sac should be seen. If it isn't, then there is concern for an ectopic pregnancy. I'm not familiar with cryptic pregnancies.

Hello, I am just following up on your questions and to find out if you have had any repeat lab work and/or ultrasound and have more information about what may be going on.