Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I've had the mirena iud in little over 2 years. I still get

Customer Question

I've had the mirena iud in for a little over 2 years. I still get an occasional period, but very light. For the last two weeks, I've had a small amount of discharge that is light pink, blood tinged, but again, light colored, not heavy discharge. I keep getting a "whiff" of a yucky smell when I uncross my legs at work or something, but when I actually touch the discharge and smell it, it smells the same as always, not foul. The whiff I get isn't a fishy odor at all, but hard to describe. I felt around up there to see if I noticed anything, and can feel a small bump where the strings from my iud come out, so assuming this is the opening of my cervix. It's just a tiny little hard bump, smaller than a pea, maybe the size of a bb? But I don't know if it's always been there, or if it's new. I don't have any itching or pain, had sex last night and no pain. For years, I've usually tended to bleed lightly after sex anyway. Today there isn't any bleeding, just the same discharge I mentioned. Any ideas? How do I know what spotting and discharge are normal with an iud, and what would be cause for concern?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain. Don't have any pain during or after sex. My periods are very irregular since the mirena iud was put in. Doc put it in because I have extremely heavy and long periods for years, and she hoped this would help lighten them up. Now they're very light, but I never know when they're going to show up. Could be twice a month, and then I go for 3 months with nothing.
JA: Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: I think that's everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

You need an exam.

Bot***** *****ne.

There is not way based on this description to say there is anything wrong or not.

You can have bleeding on the coil.

YOu can have infection if there is any smell.

A lump that is the cervix....don't know, that needs an exam.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here