Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I've had genital herpes since 2006. I would like to have

Customer Question

I've had genital herpes since 2006. I would like to have children someday. Will it be possible?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Now Herpes by itself would not prevent the development of a pregnancy. However active herpes can certainly cause problems. If you do have an active infection just before delivery then you would have to undergo a C section to protect the child. However women with older genital herpes have developed antibodies to the virus which they pass onto the child in the womb. So the simple answer here is YES you can have children easily.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else?