Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele,
Experience:  specialist at self employed

I had an IUD inserted last August. I had a colonic in

Customer Question

I had an IUD inserted last August. I had a colonic in October. In November, leading up to my period I had a dull pain on my right side. It went away within a day or two and has happened 2-3 times since then at the most. The other day I was having intercourse with my boyfriend and during it felt a quick, stabbing pain on my right side. I was worried the IUD had moved and called the doctor, who scheduled an ultrasound. Later that evening I was able to find the strings, but went to the doctor anyway. They did the ultrasound and said the IUD looked fine and checked my ovaries as well. She did mention some shadowing in my colon, to which I said I hadn't been to the bathroom for a day due to flying. I also tend to get constipated around the time of menstruation, so that aligns with the pain and it's worth noting that it may be that time now too. It's sometimes hard to tell as I don't get my period anymore due to the IUD and symptoms (namely breast tenderness) seem to fluctuate month to month. The doctor said I could go to a GI, but I'm just feeling a little unsettled. The dull pain is still here and it does seem slightly increased when laying on my side. I've read that this pain could be from a cyst. It seems to align most given that it happens during sex or near my period. Would that be something they'd see with the ultrasound? I also just had my annual exam last month. I've also read that it may be a hernia or a myriad of other things, so I'm just trying to determine the next best step. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 4 months ago.

generally, unilateral pain like this could be caused by an ovarian cyst, but this should have been detected by the ultrasound examination. So the reason for your pain really can be an intestinal problem like inflammation or adenoids. Therefore I would recommend a colonoscopy to get a secure diagnosis. As you mentioned that period stay away because of the iud, I suppose thst it´s a hormone spiral. This can cause such problems sometimes as well, so if the intestinal examination should come out without a result, a change of the contraceptive method could make sense.

Hope you get well soon, kind regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

if there are still open questions, I will be glad to answer them. Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating (3-5 stars).
Thanks a lot, all the best for you,
Dr. N. Scheufele