Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am afraid I have a UTI and want to know if there is

Customer Question

I am afraid I have a UTI and want to know if there is something over the counter I can take, as my son has had reactions to antibiotics in the past. I am allergic to Penicillin and I have had two UTIs and am afraid I have another.
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. I am also taking Levothyroxine because I have a history of thyroid cancer and have no thyroid.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

No there is no antibiotic substitute over the counter in medicine.

Bactrim and cipro are both standard crugs and have nothing to do with penicillin.

Many people will start fluids, vitamin C [3 grams] and cranberry juice [pure, not ocean spray] and thing this helps if the infection is caught early.

There are zero over the counter antibiotics however.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Otherwise, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/